A chocolate dough with a peanut butter filling and frosting make these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls the perfect match for your cup of coffee!
It has been awhile since I last participated in #BreadBakers, but I sure picked a great one to jump back in with. This month’s theme, Cocoa, is hosted by Ruchik Randhap (Delicious Cooking). Shireen really knows how to pick a steller theme! Who doesn’t love chocolate?!
Some may know that each week I prepare a few dozen cinnamon rolls for C’s families’ sale barn kitchen. One day while I was baking I got the wild hair to add cocoa to the dough. I mean who wouldn’t love a chocolate cinnamon roll with chocolate dough?? The best part?? I added peanut butter to the filling aaaannnndddddd….. a peanut butter cream cheese frosting! Score!!
If you love chocolate and peanut butter together… I mean who doesn’t though?! You’ll love these!!
So for the dough, I simply substituted a little cocoa in for some flour. Simple as that!
The filling…. the usual cinnamon mixture with melted peanut butter smeared on top. Yup… it’s that easy!
Roll them. Proof them. Bake them. Frost them. Make them disappear.
- Dough Ingredients
- 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active yeast (Red Star)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- Filling Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, melted *easy to spread*
- Frosting Ingredients
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2-3/4 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Dough Directions
- In a mixing bowl fitted with the hook attachment combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt and yeast.
- In a microwave safe bowl heat the water, milk and butter to a temperature of 90-110*F.
- Pour liquid into flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the egg and mix until smooth.
- If too wet add more flour (keep in mind you will be turning out onto floured surface).
- Turn dough onto floured surface and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Punch dough down and roll dough into a 12" long by 6" wide rectangle.
- Combine the butter, cinnamon and sugar filling ingredients and spread over the dough.
- Then spread the peanut butter over the cinnamon mixture.
- Roll the dough on the longest side.
- Then slice dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Place into a greased 9x13 baking dish and cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow to proof to double in size.
- Bake proofed rolls at 350*F for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting.
- In a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, butter and peanut butter, mixing until smooth.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar.
- Add the vanilla.
- Spread the frosting over slightly cooled cinnamon rolls.
Be sure the check out the remaining chocolate breads!
Breads with Cocoa, Cacao or Carob in any form
- Chocolate & Cherry Swirl Breads from The Bread She Bakes
- Chocolate Orange Swirl Buns from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Chocolate and Vanilla Brioche from Kidsandchic
- Chocolate Banana Quick Bread from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Buttermilk Quick Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Filled Bundt Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Monkey Bread from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls from From Gate to Plate
- Chocolate Yeast Bread from Cook’s Hideout
- Croatian Povitica – Chocolate Walnut Swirl Bread from Herbivore Cucina
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Pocket Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Dark Chocolate Chip Hot Cross Buns from Baking in Pyjamas
- Double Chocolate Espresso Scones from Wholistic Woman
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Egg Free 45 Minutes Chocolate Buns from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Eggless Chocolate Babka from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Eggless Chocolate Swirl Buns from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Eggless Triple Chocolate Scones from Spill the Spices
- Four-Chocolate Sour Cream Quickbread from What Smells So Good?
- Leopard Print Bread from Spiceroots
- Pain Au Chocolat (Chocolate filled Croissants) from G’Gina’s Kitchenette
- Pane Al Cioccolato – Chocolate Bread from Ruchik Randhap
- Petits Pain au Chocolat – Mini Chocolate Croissant from Sneha’s Recipe
- Sourdough Cacao Sweet Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Sweet Russian Chocolate Braid from Hostess At Heart
- Two Chocolates Greek Yogurt Banana Bread from La cocina de Aisha
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.
You may also be interested in…