Chicago-style pizza in your own home with this quick and easy Deep Dish Skillet Meatball Pizza!
Another Sunday rolls around and today’s #SundaySupper theme is Meatballs! I love meatballs. Mostly as a quick and easy appetizer for tailgating. My friends never complain when I bring my Microwave BBQ Meatballs, Baked Buffalo Chicken Bites or Cherry Chipotle Meatballs to Arrowhead Stadium for a Chiefs game! Usually I don’t have any left to bring home 🙁
For this event I thought I might go the easy route and make it a pizza night! It’s really a simple recipe and once you find out how simple, frozen pizza won’t be on your grocery list anymore! Even though you do have to proof the crust.
I started with an easy pizza dough that I just pressed into the bottom of a well oiled cast iron skillet. Did you know you can do that? Make a deep dish in a cast iron? You can even use a pie plate if you aren’t a fan of the cast irons. I then smear it with marinara or pizza sauce, whichever you prefer. Sprinkle with cheese. Combine the meat, crumbs and seasonings and drop little “meatballs” over the cheese. You don’t have to roll them or anything, just mix and sprinkle over top. Top with a little onion and more cheese and bake!! Delicious!
Note**I used a #10 cast iron and this dough makes a little bit more than what goes into the pan so…. you know what you can do with a little extra dough?? Make breadsticks and enjoy with marinara!!! Yup, that’s right!! Or you could even make cheese sticks. This recipe serves 4 people depending on the size pan you use and it can easily be doubled.
Now I know this recipe isn’t your typical “meatball”, but it does hold the ingredients with a little less effort in rolling the balls…. it will be a favorite and perfect for family game night!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dough Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups warm water, 90-110*F
- 1 tablespoon active yeast (Red Star)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (Dixie Crystals)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3-4 cups flour
- Pizza Ingredients
- 4 ounces ground beef
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces marinara or pizza sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion or shallot (I use Vidalia Onions)
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (Cabot Cheese)
- Italian seasoning
- In a mixing bowl, fitted with the hook attachment, combine the warm water and yeast allowing to set 5 minutes to foam.
- Add in the sugar, salt and oil.
- Add flour, a cup at a time until you get to 3 cups. Then slowly add 1/4 cup at a time until it forms a dough that's not too tacky.
- Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size. (I turn the oven on while I'm mixing and then shut it off and place my bowl in the oven to speed up proofing).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the beef, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Once dough has doubled, remove and punch down.
- Roughly divide the dough in half.
- Take the 1 tablespoon of olive oil and generously grease your cast iron or pie plate.
- Press the dough in the bottom and up the sides.
- Spread the marinara over, sprinkle with 1/2 both cheeses, meat mixture, onion, and remaining cheeses.
- Bake at 400*F for 15-18 minutes or until browned.
- Remove and sprinkle with additional cheese and 1/8 teaspoon Italian Seasoning.
Are you ready to check out the rest of the gangs balls… meatballs that is?!?! Jeez where was your head?! You can find the links below!
- Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Meatballs with Maple Balsamic Sauce from The Crumby Cupcake
- Cheesy Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
- Crab Cake Mini Meatballs with Tartar Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Garlicky Shrimp Meatballs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Korean Meatballs from Palatable Pastime
- Saucy Thai Meatballs from Brunch-n-Bites
- Slow Cooker Turkey Appetizer Jelly Meatballs from Noshing With The Nolands
- Stuffed Meatballs from The Freshman Cook
- Tofu Nuggets from NinjaBaker
- Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Goat Cheese from Our Good Life
- Russian Meatball Soup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Main Dish Meatballs:
- All-Purpose Meatballs from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Meatballs with Swiss Chard from And She Cooks
- Bourbon Baked Bean Meatballs from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Italian Meatball Sandwich from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Casserole from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Deep Dish Skillet Meatball Pizza from From Gate to Plate
- Fightin’ Irish Balls from Monica’s Table
- General Tso’s Chicken Meatballs from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma’s Italian Meatball Subs from Family Around The Table
- Hamballs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kefta Mkaouara (Moroccan Meatballs Tagine) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Keftedakia (Greek-style Meatballs) from Tramplingrose
- Kofte-Style Lamb Meatballs in a Tomato-Pepper Sauce from Caroline’s Cooking
- Meatball Subs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Moroccan Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce from MyGourmetConnection
- Orecchiette and Meatball Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Persian Lamb Meatballs from Food Lust People Love
- Portuguese Meatballs in Garlicky Wine Sauce from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Meatballs from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Slow Cooker Meatball Ranch Stroganoff from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Spanish Meatballs from The Chef Next Door
- Sriracha Sesame Turkey Meatballs from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sun Dried Tomato & Bulgarian Feta Chicken Meatballs over Lemon-Spinach Orzo From Simply Healthy Family
- Swedish Meatballs (Frikadeller) from Feeding Big
- Swedish Meatballs with Zucchini Ribbons from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Sweet & Sour Freezer to Slow-Cooker Meatballs from Wholistic Woman
- Tajine-el-Khoukh (Algerian Stuffed Peaches) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Thai Spaghetti and Meatballs from Kitchen Gidget
- Thai Red Curry Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce from kimchi MOM
- Ultimate Pasta & Meatballs from MealDiva
- Brownie Meatballs with Frosting Spaghetti from Pies and Plots
Plus Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and More Amazing Meatball Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement