A delicious recipe with caramelized onions and gooey monterey cheddar cheese make these French Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwiches to-die-for!
Gooey grilled cheese sandwiches are always my go-to when I don’t feel like cooking a lot for supper. When I ran onto this French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese on my Secret Recipe Club assigned blog, The Hobo Kitchen, it rose to the top of my list. Not going to lie though, it was a tough contender with Ellie’s Mini Margarita Donuts…. which I do plan to make soon!
Ellie is the owner and blogger at The Hobo Kitchen where she resides in Hoboken, New Jersey. I’m slightly jealous because I’m going to bet she’s been to Carlo’s Bake Shop once or twice. It’s on my bucket list to do before I die!
Back to this grilled cheese! I feel as if “speciality” grilled cheeses have become all the rage over the last couple years. I’ve only made a few nontraditional grilled cheeses before, but this one is seriously amazing. It’s basically like a patty melt, without the meat.
I altered Ellie’s recipe slightly to fit what I had on hand… and it was seriously amazingly delicious. I probably could’ve ate two! LOL. In the original recipe, Ellie uses Balsamic Caramelized Onions, but for mine I sautéed the onions in beef stock until the liquid cooked down and the onions were cooked. I could probably eat the plain onions by themselves too! I also switched out the mozzarella cheese for shredded monterey cheddar! Whether you switch things up like I did or follow The Hobo Kitchen’s version… they’re both sure to satisfy your taste buds!
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon beef stock granules
- 1/2-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons, roughly, butter over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions and cook 2-3 minutes before adding the water and beef stock granules.
- Stirring occasionally, cook the onions until tender and remove.
- Butter one side each of the bread.
- Top each side with shredded cheese, add onions and place each half in the skillet and cover with a lid to allow to cook evenly and help the cheese melt.
- Cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, remove and place halves together.
Be sure to check the remaining Secret Recipe Club Group B recipe swaps!