A seasoned pastry dough stuffed with beef, carrots and potatoes make this Beef and Root Vegetable Hand Pastries a crowd pleaser!
Today is another #SundaySupper and we’re bringing the roots down (see what I did there… roof… roots) with Root Vegetables. I chose to stick with something I always have on hand, potatoes and carrots.
Okay, so just a fair warning…. this might be the best thing I’ve tasted in a long time; minus the steak I grilled last night, but that doesn’t count! Seriously though…. these are amazing. Don’t wait to try them!!
Another thing… you can’t judge me on my inability to make circles or crimp the edges.
A few days ago I put a roast in the crock pot so it would be ready for supper. Since we’re still calving and there’s little time to cook, the roast was perfect! We had some leftover and that’s what gave me the idea to chop up the rest and put it into hand pastries for something new! I’m glad I did… and C is glad too!
I started with an Italian seasoned pastry dough and I stuffed it with roast beef, onion, potatoes, carrots, and seasoned with Italian Seasoning and salt and pepper. Super easy and totally and completely mouth watering. I was afraid that you wouldn’t be able to taste the seasoned pastry crust, but boy was I wrong. I think the dough is what really helps pull this dish together.
Don’t just take my word for it… TRY IT!
- Pastry Ingredients
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4-1 cup water
- Filling Ingredients
- 2 cups beef, cooked (I used leftover roast beef)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and small diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and small diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- To Taste salt
- To Taste pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- Course salt
- Preheat oven to 400*F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pastry Directions
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, Italian Seasoning and butter until coarse crumbs are created.
- Slowly pour in the water, beginning with 3/4 cup and mix just until combined.
- Turn onto a floured surface and divide into 6 equal portions.
- Roll each portion in an 8 inch circle and set aside.
- Filling Directions
- Combine the beef, onion, potatoes, carrots, oil and seasonings.
- Assembly Directions
- Divide the filling equally among the 6 portions leaving at least an inch around the border.
- Combine the egg and water and brush around the edges to help seal.
- Fold the top over, pinch and seal.
- Place onto the baking sheet.
- Brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with course salt.
- Bake at 400*F for 25-30 minute or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately!
- **Although I haven't tried it, I'm sure ground beef will work instead of roast beef**
Be sure to check out how the rest of the participants incorporated root veggies in their recipes!
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma’s Meals
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Root Vegetable and Beef Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Our Good Life
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica’s Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apples, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Iced Beet Cake from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement