Comfort food at it’s finest. This satisfying Beef Pot Pie with Herbed Biscuits will warm you up on a cool fall evening!
Here in Iowa, fall has officially set in on us. Temperatures dipping down into the low 30’s… we haven’t had a killing frost yet so that’s good! Combines are still running as they harvest the last of the corn and beans. Tractor and discs are following behind working the ground for cover crops or for next year. Either way, it’s busy in our area as well as our lives.
Not only have farmers been in the fields, but we’ve also been in the pastures. It’s that time again when we’re weaning our spring calves and they’re hitting the feed yards so in about 10-12 months they can be hitting your plates. That’s what I live to do… raise beef to put on your plates! That’s why when T.R from Gluten Free Crumbly chose this warming themed event for #SundaySupper I was super excited to put a spin on one of my blogs most popular recipes, Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits.
Pot pies seem to be an excellent comfort food during the cooler months and beef is very plentiful in our freezer due to raising our own… so why not put the two together… right?! I know it’s nothing new, but a pot pie with biscuits instead of pastry is what I go for. These biscuits are seasoned with Italian Seasoning which I feel compliment the beef very well. Did I mention they’re super easy to make and would be great by themselves as well? Well… I just did! 🙂
- 1 pound steak, thinly sliced into 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, small diced
- 2 cups carrots, thin sliced OR small diced
- 2 cups corn
- To Taste salt
- To Taste pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a stockpot with 2 tablespoons butter saute the onion and garlic with the beef until browned. Add the remaining butter and flour and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add the stock, stirring until boils.
- Stir in milk, potatoes, carrots, corn and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the biscuits.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and Italian Seasoning.
- Cut in the butter until resembles course crumbs.
- Add the milk, mixing just until moist.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and pat into 1/2" circle. With a cutter, cut the biscuits. Repeat with remaining dough, working as little as possible.
- Once potatoes are tender, pour mixture into a 9x13 baking dish and top with the biscuits.
- Bake at 350*F for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are browned.
- **Don't be afraid to add mushrooms, peas or sweet potatoes to this dish, but be sure to adjust the quantity otherwise it will run over your pan!**
Now that you’ve added my Beef Pot Pie with Herbed Biscuits to your next menu planning… I hope you’ll check out the rest of the #SundaySupper clan and some of theirs as well! 🙂 Check them out below!
Drunken Pumpkin Spice Latte by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Hot Mulled Caramel Apple Sangria by The Crumby Cupcake
Mexican Atole by Curious Cuisiniere
Gluten Free Hot Spiked Apple Cider by Gluten Free Crumbley
Apple Pear Crisp by The Freshman Cook
Bananas Foster by Pies and Plots
Chocolate Hazelnut Lava Cake by Brunch with Joy
Fudge Pudding Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
Honeycrisp Apple Tart by The Redhead Baker
Pumpkin Cheesecake in Pumpkins by Desserts Required
Warm Cardamom and Coconut Rice Pudding by Fearless Dining
Main Dishes and Soups
Beef Brats and Beans Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Beef Pot Pie with Herbed Biscuits by From Gate to Plate
Best Ever White Bean and Mushroom Soup by Pancake Warriors
Braised Venison with Plums by Food Lust People Love
Butternut Squash Chili by Amee’s Savory Dish
Butternut Squash Risotto with Pears and Sage by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Carbonnade Flamande by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Classic Italian Meat Sauce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Creamy Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Hearty Chickpea Soup by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
Creamy Stove-Top Alfredo with Bacon and Green Beans by Peaceful Cooking
Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Noodles by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
Curry Debal by Palatable Pastime
Easy Sweet Potato Soup by Healing Tomato
Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
French Onion Soup by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Gingered Butternut Squash Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
Hearty Turkey Lentil Soup by A Gouda Life
Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup by Party Food and Entertaining
Mango Habanero Sauce by What Smells So Good?
Oxtail Stew by Nosh My Way
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting by Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
Red Lentil Soup by My San Francisco Kitchen
Roasted Squash Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Turkey Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde by Food Done Light
Slow Cooker English Roast by Wholistic Woman
Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh by Caroline’s Cooking
Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy by Feeding Big
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
Spice Rubbed Braised Beef by FamFriendsFood
Spicy Meatball Tortilla Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon by Cooking Chat
Turkey Chipotle Chili by The Complete Savorist
Tuscan White Bean Soup with Ham by Big Bear’s Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
You can stalk From Gate to Plate by following at these watering holes…
You may also like: