A light and refreshing Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad is a great way to eat the things you love, but keeping it healthy at the same time!
With the New Year here, we’ve all set those new resolutions right? Well… okay, no I haven’t. I’m not much on setting those kinda things, but one thing is for sure I am going to try eating “healthier” and by “healthier” I mean maybe not so much chocolate, cut back on the buttercream frosting and increase the veggie intake… Leave my meat alone though!
#SundaySupper has always been a great event for me to follow along as a reader and as we’re flying into the new year, I am joining in on the club! This first event is fantastic as it’s “A Lighter New Year” theme. I know Marinated Tomatoes and Mozzarella Salad are more popular during the summer months when the tomatoes are on full force, but there’s no reason you can’t have a light side salad during the winter months to remind you summer is coming or to just enjoy the flavors you love! Lighted up of course 🙂
This salad is so easy to make. Just toss together the marinade and bingo. You’re set to go! Healthy has never been so easy 😉
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 ounces mozzarella balls (or cheese curds like I used), halved
- 1 cup fresh basil, sliced
- 4 tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- To Taste salt
- To Taste pepper
- In a skillet, cook garlic in olive oil until golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Combine the tomatoes, 1/2 cup basil, capers, zest, juice, and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour garlic mixture over the tomatoes and marinade 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Gently toss with lemon juice.
- Before serving, top with additional basil, zest, salt and pepper.
- **Total time includes 30 minute marinade**
So whether you’re trying to lighten up your new year by whipping up some smoothies, eating a healthier breakfast, adding a side dish to your meals or cutting back on the sweet tooth, this #SundaySupper group has you covered! Check them out!
- Almond Mocha Smoothie from The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate-Covered Berries Green Smoothie from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus DeTox Spa Water from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Peachilious Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Blissful Breakfast Items
- Apple Crumble Smoothie Bowl from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Light Eggs Benedict from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Multigrain Scones from The Texan New Yorker
- Nutty Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Reduced Sugar Donuts from The Ninja Baker
- Broccoli Pesto from Curried Cantaloupe
- Fava Bean and Avocado Guacamole from Pancake Warriors
- Homemade Snickerdoodle Peanut Butter from Wallflour Girl
- Norwegian Egg Benedict from Brunch with Joy
- Roasted Pumpkin and Chevre Bruschetta from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spicy Curried Lentil Spread with Winter Veggies from Lifestyle Food Artistry
Savory Soups and Sides
- Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Light Creamed Roasted Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Detox Chicken Bok Choy Soup from Nosh My Way
- French Potato Leek Soup from Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Chicken Pho Soup from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from From Gate to Plate
- Quinoa Mango Pomegranate Spinach Salad with White Balsamic Vinigrette from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Red Cabbage and Golden Raisin Salad from girlichef
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Endive Slaw with Champagne Vinaigrette from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Spinach and Black Bean Ravioletti Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Pepper Tofu with Black Garlic Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fish Steamed with Spicy Couscous from Food Lust People Love
- Greek Style Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce from Nik Snacks
- Kale Pesto with Squash Noodles from Ruffles & Truffles
- Mexican Turkey Cutlets from Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs, Fennel & Sweet Potato from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Portuguese Kale Soup from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Salmon with Mushroom Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Skinny Chicken-Leek Pot Pie from The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa from Bobbi’s Kosy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Italian Barley & Sausage from Foxes Loves Lemons
- Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches from Food Done Light
- Tomato Goat Cheese Arugula Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Easy to be Green Chocolate Chip Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Fruit Parfait from Desserts Required
- Maple Pear Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Easy Blackberry Crumble from The Perfect Brownie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Thanks for stopping by!! Hope you enjoyed this weeks edition!
You can stalk From Gate to Plate by following at these watering holes…