Tailgating is not complete without a hearty Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup to help warm you up on those chilly mornings!
Welcome to Day #4 of #10DaysofTailgate! If you’re just joining us let me tell you few things. We have nearly two dozen bloggers with over one hundred recipes scheduled to inspire you through an entire tailgating season. Think chicken wings, skewers, sweet nibbles, and cocktails. The event runs September 20th through September 30th. Just remember: your fork does not go into your monitor…no matter how much you might want to taste some of these dishes. Okay? Get ready…get set… BREAK!
Jalapenos. Beer. Cheese.
Those are all three essentials for your tailgate party just in case you didn’t know 🙂
With weather starting to cool off here in the Midwest it’s time to start thinking of foods that are going to warm you up while you’re standing in the parking lot waiting to go watch your team dominate on the turf.
This Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup is sure to warm you up and I don’t mean in a jalapeno hot way either. It’s just a hearty, warm soup that’s perfect for your next party!
- 1/2 pound bacon, sliced thin
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 12 ounce beer or lager
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk or heavy cream
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- To Taste salt
- To Taste pepper
- Additional bacon and jalapenos for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, cook bacon until crispy.
- Using the bacon grease, add the celery, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and thyme. Cook until softened, 6-8 minutes.
- Add half of the beer and reduce by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and cook over medium heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes making a blonde roux.
- Whisk the roux into the soup and continue to whisk until simmering.
- Cook until thickened, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the milk, remaining beer and stirring frequently, until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and remove from heat. Stirring until melted.
- Add the bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If soup is too thick add a few tablespoons of broth.
- Serve with garlic toasts.
Looking for what I’ve brought to the field during the #10DaysofTailgate? Check out the complete list HERE. 🙂
Now onto the rest of the team… Here’s what they’ve brought to the stadium for Day #4…
Beer Battered Fried Pickles with Pickle Dipping Sauce by Debbi Does Dinner Healthy
DBLT Wraps by Miss Laura’s Kitchen
Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup by From Gate to Plate
Bacon-Wrapped Potato Wedges by Making Miracles
Hot Mexican Quinoa Dip by The Pajama Chef
Deviled Egg Dip by From Gate to Plate
Pretzel Dogs El Diablo by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Carrot Habanero Duck Meatballs by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Curried Maple Leaf Farms Duck Mini Meat Pies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Quince Butter Thumbprint Cookies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Now let’s get on to what we know you’re really excited for! Let’s start with a huge – HUGE! – thank you to our event sponsors who have graciously donated prizes for our readers. These sponsors have contributed great prizes for a gigantic giveaway. We have an incredible giveaway for this event. There are fourteen different prize packages which are detailed in the rafflecopter.
Scroll through our fourteen prize packages!
Terms & Conditions
Mandatory Entry: Leave a comment with What’s your favorite tailgate dish? Many more ways to enter in the Rafflecopter widget above.
This giveaway is open to residents of the United States only, age 18 and older (sorry to my International followers 🙁 ). The #10DaysofTailgate 2014 giveaway runs from Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:00am PST through Tuesday, September 30, 2014 at 6:00pm PST. Winners will be randomly chosen and announced on October 1, 2014. Winners will also be contacted via email and will have 48 hours to respond to the email. If a winner does not respond in that time a new winner will be chosen. For more information, see the full terms and conditions in the Rafflecopter widget.
Disclaimer: Our generous sponsors are providing the prizes free of charge. Participating bloggers may have received product related to these brands to use for #10DaysofTailgate. All opinions stated are their own.
You can stalk From Gate to Plate by following at these watering holes…