With a foot of snow on the ground is all I can think about is warm weather. What better to help me think of warm-tropical areas than bananas and coconuts? This Arctic Blast is no fun… at all! I mean we’re talking a 50* difference from night temperatures to day temperatures and it’s still not above 20*. That’s some straight up… bull!
It’s pretty natural for us to complain though isn’t it?! We complain in the winter when it’s too cold. We complain when there’s too much snow. We complain in the summer when it’s too hot. We complain when it’s raining. We complaining when it’s not raining. I say we should stop complaining for once and well…. maybe after this cold weather is gone I will 🙂
Sadly, I don’t think this cold weather is going anywhere any too fast. If I was to go by what my animals look like; I’d say it’s going to stick around for awhile longer. I mean my cows are fatter than toads with four inches of hair. The horses, well they look like a pair of Woolly Mammoths, obviously without the tusks and long trunk though.
Lets get back to the warm weather state of mind… We can only daydream when you’re in the Midwest going into the middle of February.
Banana Coconut Muffins.
Did I tell you that I bought an entire case of bananas, which is 40 pounds, when I was shopping one day because they were on sale for $5. Yes, $5. AND they were at the perfect eating stage when I bought them! That’s a lot of naners, but hey I only have a dozen left now so that’s pretty good.
I actually bought a fresh coconut super cheap that day too! Let me tell you though, it had been forever since I had used fresh coconut and my-oh-my I swear I had to grab the hardest coconut to break open. Took me foreverrrrrrrr. Seriously, like 15 minutes! After all that rotating the coconut and hammering, I think I’ll stick to the flaked you buy in the bag! The coconut was very pretty though!
I love a good muffin in the morning for breakfast. With these muffins, they’re so soft and moist and then you have the crisp crunch of coconut on top. Delic! Not too sweet either. Easy peasy to top it all off!
What’s your favorite kind of muffin? Let me know in the comments section 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large ripe bananas (1 cup), mashed
- 1/2 cup shaved or shredded unsweetened coconut
- Coconut shavings for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with liners
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the butter, mix well
- Next, add the egg, milk, vanilla, and mashed banana, mixing thoroughly
- Gradually mix in the coconut, just until incorporated
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tins
- Top with shaved or shredded coconut
- Bake at 350*F for 24-26 minutes or until tests done
- Allow muffins to cool in the pan before removing, about 10 minutes
- Cool completely
**This recipe may be linked up to party here**