Welcome to Day #3 of Appetizer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. Whether you are a Broncos fan or a Seahawks fan , we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we will be dishing up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoy this fabulous group of recipes. Tune in each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25.
Have you ever ate a sauerkraut, bread and butter sandwich? Ohhh, I have! I love them… seriously, I do. When I was younger that’s what I’d (willingly) eat for supper. My mother and I make our own, so we never have a shortage. Usually when we have brats or hot dogs, I pile the sauerkraut on a mile high and chow down. It wasn’t until college when I had my first Reuben Sandwich? Where have they been all my life?! Yeah, I have no idea either!! Sauerkraut… yes please! That’s all I have to say 🙂
So given that I’m a fan of the sour stuff… I wanted to make some sort of yummy appetizer that I could chow down on any time. I decided that I would replace the corned beef in a Reuben with ham and grind it up and mix it with a few small ingredients and fry them. Perfect!
- 1/2 pound ground ham, fully cooked
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Combine ham, sauerkraut, onion, 1 tablespoon bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cream cheese.
- Refrigerate at least one hour or overnight. (Mixture must be fully chilled otherwise the ham will ooze out while frying)
- Once mixture is cooled, using a cookie scoop or spoon, make 1-inch round balls and set aside.
- Heat a deep-fryer or a pan with 2-inches of oil in the bottom to 350*
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and milk, mixing well.
- In another small bowl, place the bread crumbs.
- Dip each ball into the egg mixture and then the bread crumbs.
- Place 5-10 balls (or more depending on the size of your fryer), in a single layer in the hot grease.
- Fry 3-4 minutes or until golden. Remove
- Serve with Thousand Island Dressing
Visit all the other Appetizer Week Blogs for more Snack Time Deliciousness:
- Meatball Bites by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Gluten Free Onion Butter Pretzels by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Crawfish Dip by Call Me PMc
- Low-Carb Shrimp Guacamole by Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Bourbon Pulled Pork Sliders by Cooking in Stilettos
- Sun-dried Tomato Dip by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sriracha Butternut Hummus by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Margherita Pizza Sticks by Makobi Scribe
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs by Flavor Mosaic
- Feta-Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes with Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
- Ham and Sauerkraut Balls by From Gate to Plate
- Cheddar Cayenne Crackers by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Baked Pickle Chips by Lemons for Lulu
- Cheddar Cheese Olive Puffs by Life Off the Clock
- Manchego and Roasted Pepper Stuffed Mushrooms by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Restaurant-Style Chipotle Salsa by Home Cooking Memories
- Mango Jalapeno Sausage Rolls by Food Done Light
- Ham & Cheese Mini Cracker Sandwiches by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Spicy Cheese Rounds by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Low Sodium Chicken Stuffed jalapeno Poppersby Cookerati
Today’s sponsor is Not So Simple Syrup. They can be found on Facebook, and Twitter. Not So Simple Syrup is a small, local maker of simple syrups. Heidi and Barbie’s passion is to create all natural syrups that inspire and stimulate your penchant for amazing mixed drinks as well as iced teas, non-alcoholic beverages and dessert making and baking too. They pride themselves on individual service. When you purchase a NSSS product, you can be sure that it received their personal stamp of approval. Not So Simple Syrup is providing us with a 6-month gift basket subscription for the winner. Each month you will get a gift package with a new theme and everything you need to whip up a favorite recipe from the Not So Simple Syrup crew. Everything but the booze will be included and shipped directly to your door. Like wine of the month, but with simple syrups. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Not So Simple Syrup. #AppetizerWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
I hope you take the time to come back tomorrow to find another list of munchies!