Everyone loves Little Debbies, right?! From the Swiss Rolls to Zebra Cakes to Fudge Rounds and Oatmeal Crème Pies.
I pretty much love them all.
But….. yes there’s a but. After I found this recipe from Something Swanky for Homemade Oatmeal Crème Pies, I will never buy another box ever again. These are so much better than the real thing and without all the unnecessary additives. I can’t even express how amazing these are. Don’t hesitate. Make them NOW!
Take these Homemade Crème Pies to your next board meeting, pack them in your children’s lunchbox, or take them to the next tailgating party! No matter where you go, you’ll want to take these!
And if you’re not wanting to simply stop at the original crème pies, head on over to Shugary Sweets for her Chocolate Oatmeal Crème Pies!! She even shapes them into a football for the perfect tailgate cookie!!
So what are you waiting on?! Go make them!!
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- Cream Filling
- 1-7 ounce jar Marshmallow Crèam (or your favorite homemade marshmallow cream)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a large bowl
- Add the molasses and eggs, mixing well
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, mixing well
- Add the rolled oats
- Dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water and mix into the dough
- Scoop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets (allowing 2 inches for spreading)
- Bake at 350* for 10-12 minutes or until set around the edges
- Cream Filling
- Cream together the marshmallow crème and shortening
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, 1/3 cup at a time
- Add the vanilla and salt
- Mix in the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, creaming after each addition until mixture becomes smooth and fluffy
- To assemble the sandwich cookies, place a tablespoon (give or take your preference) onto one cookie and top with the cap
- **Do not over bake... This is very important. Take out of the oven just as the edges are starting to set up and turn golden**
- **Yields roughly 20 sandwich cookies**
- **I love to make a double or triple batch and then put them in the freezer for whenever I have a craving**
**Participating in these Linky Parties**