Hey everyone! I’m still alive… yay!! I’m probably one of the worst bloggers in the history of blogging because I am not very consistant on my daily posts and am lucky to get time to get one post in a week. I’ve just been busy, busy, busy. I can’t wait until classes are over and then I can enjoy my summer!!! Luckily one of my good friends is helping me through my Government class.. she’s the best!
Way back a few weeks ago was my oldest brothers birthday and I whipped up a Cherry Cheesecake for him, but my base recipe was the New York Style Cheesecake with a simple cherry pie filling on the top because I didn’t actually have any fresh or frozen cherries on hand. It never hurts to use what’s in the cabinets though!
If I haven’t told you yet, I absolutely LOVEEEEE cheesecake… I mean it’s probably the best dessert ever “invented.” I would prefer cheesecake every day of the week if my thighs would allow me. It’s just so rich and creamy! Growing up my best friend and I would always make the no-bake cheesecakes and just leave them in the mixing bowls to eat right away. Psh, who needs to make it in any particular shape when you’re just gonna use a spoon to eat it?! I mean, seriously that’s how much I love cheesecake! So enough about my obession with cheesecake… lets get onto the recipe!
This cheesecake is everything you would expect from a classic New York-Style Cheesecake. It’s creamy, tangy, and melt-in-your-mouth amazing and the best part of it is you can top it with whatever your little heart desires!
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (1 sleeve)
- 1/4-1/2 cup butter, melted **I use 1/2 cup because I like my crust to really stick together, otherwise just use 1/4 cup**
- 5 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 500*F (260*C)
- Prepared 9" cheesecake pan, ungreased, or springform pan, greased
- Combine melted butter and graham cracker crumbs in a large bowl with a fork.
- **Or to save on dishes I simply do it in my springform pan, but be careful not to scratch your pan**
- Press into bottom of prepared pan.
- Freeze until finished with filling.
- **To crush graham crackers: I place the entire sleeve in a ziplock bag (I like to save empty bread bags to use for things like this) and smash with a rolling pin, but can also use a food processor. The quick and easy way I melt butter is to place the butter in a GLASS measuring cup and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds or until melted**
- In a large mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Mix in flour, lemon and orange zest.
- Add eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla and cream. Pour batter over frozen crust.
- Bake at 500*F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 200*F baking for an additional 60 minutes or until it slightly jiggles in the middle.
- The top should be puffy like a souffle with a light golden color.
- **Can stick a tooth pick in the middle and test to see if it's done. If toothpick comes out clean, it's done.**
- Cool on a rack for 2 hours.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.
- **Before serving top with your favorite topping**
- Very Important... Do not over mix cheescake because it will also cause it to crack!